
Governments around the world have promised countermeasures in the United States after President Donald Trump on Wednesday unveiled a new 10% reference rate on goods from all countries, plus reciprocal prices on those who, according to his administration, have high obstacles to American imports.
Here is what some governments have said about what they would do – and would not do – in response.
European Union
The president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, said that the EU finalized a set of measures in response to American prices on steel and that “is now preparing for new countermeasures to protect our interests and our companies if negotiations fail”. Trump targeted the EU with a reciprocal rate of 20%.
China
The Chinese Ministry of Commerce said that Beijing “firmly opposes” to reciprocal prices and “will take countermeasures to protect his own rights and interest”, after Trump imposed a reciprocal rate of 34% on the country.
Japan
The Minister of Japanese Trade, Yoji Muto, described the reciprocal rates as “extremely regrettable” and said that Tokyo would urge the United States to exempt Japan from tariff measures.
Japan would consider its answer, he said, “daring and rapidly” way “. Tokyo faces a reciprocal rate of 24%.
German Minister of Economy Robert Habeck
“Donald Trump clogs under pressure, corrects his pressure announcements, but the logical consequence is that he must also feel the pressure, and this pressure must now be exerted from Germany, Europe.”
South Korea
The acting president, Han Duck-SOO, ordered emergency support measures for affected companies, including cars, said the Ministry of Industry, after Trump’s pricing announced a rate of 25% on South Korea.
Canada
Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada “was going to fight these prices with countermeasures” and “would act with goal and forcefully”.
The goods from Canada and Mexico are not currently subject to reciprocal prices, because the previous prices of Trump 25% linked to fentanyl remain in place on their goods, as well as 10% for Canadian energy and potash. A tariff exemption for goods in accordance with the American-mexico-Canada on trade agreement will continue indefinitely.
Mexico
President Claudia Sheinbaum said on Wednesday that Mexico would not pursue a “tat-tat on prices” but prefers to announce a “full program” on Thursday.
United Kingdom
Prime Minister Keir Starmer said that Great Britain would continue to work on a trade agreement with the United States and that a trade war was “not in our national interest”.
However, he added that he only concluded an agreement if it was the right one and that “nothing is outside the table” for the response of Great Britain.
Great Britain faces the lowest withdrawal rate on imports of 10%.
Australia
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said that Australia is looking to negotiate with the United States to withdraw prices without resorting to a dispute settlement mechanism in the two countries free trade agreement.
He said that his government would not impose reciprocal prices because it would increase Australian household prices.
“We will not join a race down, which causes higher prices and slower growth,” said Albanese.
Brazil
The Government of the Economy of the Government of Latin America, Brazil, that Trump slapped with a tariff of 10%, said that it “evaluated all possible actions to ensure the reciprocity of bilateral trade, including the use of the World Trade Organization”.
Earlier in the day, the Brazil congress approved a bill which establishes a legal framework for Brazil to meet the potential unilateral commercial measures targeting its goods and services, including countermeasures such as prices.
Israel
The Israeli Minister of Finance, Bezalel Smotrich, said that ministry officials were suitable to formulate a line of conduct to protect the economy of Israel against imminent prices of 17%.